Monday, April 20, 2009

Tackling the Non-linear Assignment




It's interesting that after every blog, twitter, in-class assignment, midterm, final, feature story, slideshow, audio story and website design that I've endured over this year combine, it all comes down to the non-linear story assignment. This assignment will combine virtually every aspect that has previously come my way and now the time has come to put it to the test. For my final project of MCOM 257-258, I'm generating ideas for how I want to approach it. I already know that I'm going to combine every assignment that relates to my beat which is student stress including my feature story, audio story, and slideshow presentation. These three will serve as my branches that viewers can see once they choose a particular branch. I imagine the trunk of my tree will serve as a long blurb that highlights the purpose of the branches and how they each contain a piece to discovering a different avenue of stress.




I'm actually amazed at myself. When I first began my beat on stress, I thought I would have to end up changing my beat because I figured that I only could take it so far, but I've managed to tell a different story each and everytime on a beat in which I originally thought had one perspective. What concerns me the most is my additional two stories. I haven't really brainstormed on what to talk about next and in what capacity to tell it. The stories only have to be 250 words long which is doable, but I really don't know who or what to talk about. Secondly, I'm concerned with how to incorporate a map on my webpage. I would like to use one, but I'm unsure about how to incorporate it considering what my beat is. Change or something new intimidates me. I fear not being able to accomplish or producing my very best work, but I'm willing and ready to handle the next phase before reaching the end. With a little more time, I will have ideas, meanwhile I need to brainstorm.




No comments: