Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Brainstorming a slideshow

For my slideshow presentation about an interesting person, I am literally stuck and I'm not sure where to look. My beat is on student stress here at Towson, but I'm having trouble finding someone who can be seen as interesting and more importantly being worthy of two minutes. This assignment is challenging to say the least, but as always, I pull through in a clutch. I want to take a different angle for this story and develop a focus taking stress management to a new light, so I am open to ideas from anyone and please feel free to contribute.

Possible idea:
Charles Matthews, a chemistry teacher at Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School has been teaching in the Baltimore City Public School System for over 35 years. From school year to school year he says he's going to retire, but always summons the strengh to start off another school year. He has acquired multiple degrees and certifications and has had an amazing journey thoughout his lifetime. Matthews spends day-in and day-out at school even on weekends. He enjoys the love of teaching, but dealing with teenagers at 68 years old is no walk in the park. Over the past several years, Mervo has experienced arson, vandalism, theft and much more. For this story, I want to focus on how a veteran teacher in the Baltimore City Public School systems deals with the stress from students while working in an unpredictable learning environment.

-This is only the idea that I have so far, I thought it was worthy of two minutes because he's very knowledgeable and has experienced multiple school years of stress over the years, if I'm going to do this, I still need to appropriately fine tune it more. If there any suggestions, please contact me.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Brian,

I think you should use this story idea, since you only have two weeks left to do it anyway (lol)

jenny atwater said...

I think this could be a good story, Brian. Make sure you get photos of him in his environment.